All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe solid molecular hydrogens are the simplest and most fundamental molecular solids. Except at ultrahigh pressures on the order of a few mega- bars, where a transition to a metallic, atomic phase is expected, these solids are true molecular crystals in which the molecules retain their identity with properties t too different from those of the free molecules. At energies below the electronic excitation energy, the thermal and spectroscopic pro- perties of these solids are determined by the translational, rotational, and intramolecular vibrational motions of the interacting molecules. The theo- retical analysis of the solid-state properties in terms of the free molecules and the intermolecular interactions forms the main topic of this book. The available detailed kwledge of the properties of the free molecules makes it feasible to carry out this program to a large extent on the basis of first principles, and this is one of the attractive features of these systems. The solid hydrogens are dominated by quantum effects, the most out- standing property being that the rotation of the molecules is free down to the lowest temperatures, in the sense that the rotational quantum number J characterizing the rotational motion of the free molecules remains a good quantum number in all of the solid-state phases except at ultrahigh pressures.
- Author(s)J. Van Kranendonk
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication27/07/2013
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight481 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1983
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.