All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWords without Borders Best Books of 2013, Coffin Factory Best Books of 2013, and World Literature Today Best Books of 2013. Ardent, salty, whimsical, steamy, absurd ...A wallop to the reader. --Ploughshares Beautiful ...reading the book feels like going back in time . --Yael Stone, actor in Orange is the New Black Since I was little, I have thrilled at reading food-related passages in vels. But the food scenes in Some Day by Israeli velist Shemi Zarhin are on ather level. In one passage, Zarhin describes a dish so vividly I felt compelled to re-create it in my own kitchen ...My mouth watered. --Leah Koenig in Modern Jewish Cooking Extremely moving. --Miami Sun Sentinel Zarhin has added his name to the luminaries of Israeli literature. --The Arts Fuse This thrilling, fresh, and surprising vel ought to draw the eyes of the literati back to Israel. --ForeWord Reviews Masterful ...haunting ...sublime ...Zarhin's characters are so real they fairly jump off the page. --The Jerusalem Post On the shores of Israel's Sea of Galilee lies the city of Tiberias, a place bursting with sexuality and longing for love. The air is saturated with smells of cooking and passion. Young Shlomi, who develops a remarkable culinary talent, has fallen for Ella, the strange neighbor with suicidal tendencies; his little brother Hilik obsessively collects words in a tebook. In the wild, selfish but magical grown-up world that swirls around them, a mother with a poet's soul mourns the deaths of literary giants while her handsome husband cheats on her both at home and abroad. Some Day is a gripping family saga. Shemi Zarhin's hyptic writing renders a painfully delicious vision of individual lives behind Israel's larger national story. Shemi Zarhin, born in Tiberias in 1961, is a velist, film director, and screenwriter who has created some of the most critically acclaimed and award-winning films in the history of Israeli cinema.
- Author BiographyShemi Zarhin: Shemi Zarhin is a novelist, film director and screenwriter who has created some of the most critically-acclaimed and award-winning films in contemporary Israeli cinema. Some Day is his first novel and was a best-seller in Israel. Yardenne Greenspan: Yardenne Greenspan is a fiction writer and translator and holds an MFA in fiction and literary translation from Columbia University. A recipient of the American Literary Translators Association Fellowship, her translation projects include works by Israeli authors Rana Werbin and Yaakov Shabtai.
- Author(s)Shemi Zarhin
- PublisherNew Vessel Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Vessel Press
- Weight571 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Translated byYardenne Greenspan
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.81
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $59.41
- AU $21.81Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $15.99Trending at AU $21.19
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.66
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $40.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.