All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLonglisted for the 2014 National Book Award From the winner of the Pulitzer Prizea powerful, engrossing new vel the life and times of a remarkable family over three transformative decades in America. On their farm in Denby, Iowa, Rosanna and Walter Langdon abide by time-hored values that they pass on to their five wildly different children: from Frank, the handsome, willful first born, and Joe, whose love of animals and the land sustains him, to Claire, who earns a special place in her father s heart. Each chapter in Some Luck covers a single year, beginning in 1920, as American soldiers like Walter return home from World War I, and going up through the early 1950s, with the country on the cusp of ermous social and ecomic change. As the Langdons branch out from Iowa to both coasts of America, the personal and the historical merge seamlessly: one moment electricity is just beginning to power the farm, and the next a son is volunteering to fight the Nazis; later still, a girl you d seen growing up w has a little girl of her own, and you discover that your laughter and your admiration for all these lives are mixing with tears. Some Luck delivers on everything we look for in a work of fiction. Taking us through cycles of births and deaths, passions and betrayals, among characters we come to kw inside and out, it is a tour de force that stands wholly on its own. But it is also the first part of a dazzling epic trilogy a literary adventure that will span a century in America: an astonishing feat of storytelling by a beloved writer at the height of her powers. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyJane Smiley is the author of numerous novels, including A Thousand Acres, which was awarded the Pulitzer Prize, as well as five works of nonfiction and a series of books for young adults. In 2001 she was inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Letters, and in 2006 she received the PEN USA Lifetime Achievement Award for Literature. She lives in Northern California.
- Author(s)Jane Smiley
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication15/02/2015
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintBantam Books Inc
- Weight318 g
- Width130 mm
- Height147 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Read byLorelei King
- Contained items statement12 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time900
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $20.36Trending at AU $34.89
- AU $32.65Trending at AU $39.26
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $36.56
- AU $18.32Trending at AU $19.62
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.23
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $45.04
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $35.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.