Something Borrowed, Something True: Ancient Civilization as Biblical Background by Bob Mayfield (Paperback / softback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $37.31Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $27.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLong before the words of the Old Testament were written, many of their roots existed in the form of ancient myth-the religious beliefs and practices of cultures in Sumeria and Egypt. That raises an interesting question: does the value of religion lie in its infallibility, or in the higher values it instills in its followers? In his book, Something Borrowed, Something True, the geographer Robert Mayfield explores the origins of modern Judeo-Christian beliefs, and the cultural evolution that helped create those religions. Readers will learn of his conclusions concerning the origin of many of those spiritual beliefs, as well as his views on the rocky relationship that exists today between science and religion. With a special emphasis on the contributions of women throughout various times and cultures, this progressive look at religion, wisdom, and morality is a thought-provoking and inspiring read. Anyone with an interest in history, sociology, or religion will find something of interest in this nfiction book concerning ancient precedents and the on-going development of abiding faith.
- Author BiographyRobert C. Mayfield is a former college professor and Provost at Boston University. He is the author of Coming Clean from Abilene: All the Way to Austin, as well as the co-author and co-editor of Man, Space, and Environment, with Paul Ward English. He holds multiple degrees in geography-a BA from Texas Christian University, an MA from Indiana University, and a PhD from the University of Washington. Mayfield lives with his wife, Loraine, in Austin, Texas. They have four children, three granddaughters, and three great-grandchildren. For more than 37 years, Mayfield has been cultivating, revising, and updating his material for Something Borrowed, Something True. His inspiration for writing the non-fiction book came from preparing the lectures and seminars he has given at the University of Texas and in churches he attended. As a result he has received many thoughtful questions, as well as requests to put his ideas into written form.
- Author(s)Bob Mayfield
- Date of Publication21/11/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight449 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $27.94
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.35Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.