All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSong of Wrath tells the story of Classical Athens' victorious Ten Years' War (431-- 421 BC) against grim Sparta--the first decade of the terrible Peloponnesian War that turned the Golden Age of Greece to lead. Historian J.E. Lendon presents a sweeping tale of pitched battles by land and sea, sieges, sacks, raids, and deeds of cruelty and guile--along with courageous acts of mercy, surprising charity, austere restraint, and arrogant resistance. Recounting the rise of democratic Athens to great-power status, and the resulting fury of authoritarian Sparta, Greece's traditional leader, Lendon portrays the causes and strategy of the war as a duel over national hor, a series of acts of revenge. A story of new pride challenging old, Song of Wrath is the first work of Ancient Greek history for the post-cold-war generation.
- Author BiographyJ.E. Lendon is professor of history at the University of Virginia and author of Soldiers and Ghosts: A History of Battle in Classical Antiquity, runner-up for the Longman History Today Book of the Year Prize (2006).
- Author(s)J. E. Lendon
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication20/09/2012
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBasic Books
- Content Noteb&w photos, maps
- Weight721 g
- Width159 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine44 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.26Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.