All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHogg's involvement with song collecting and writing spans the whole of his career, from the early 1800s until the early 1830s, and examples are found across all genres of his work - fiction, drama, poetry and in a number of important musical publications. His 1831 collection entitled Songs by the Ettrick Shepherd came about as an attempt to better his difficult financial situation, and is of particular interest and significance. It was published towards the end of his career, and it provides his own retrospective presentation of his lifetime achievement as a song-writer. This critical edition of Hogg's volume makes his songs accessible for the first time. The layout mirrors the original volume which contained 'head tes' by Hogg himself. These tes provide a great deal of factual, biographical and anecdotal information which proves vitally important to our understanding of the development of his role as a song writer and collector. Alongside the text of Songs from 1831, this edition will contain an introduction discussing Hogg's role as a song writer and collector and a detailed account of the creation of the original manuscript.
- Author BiographyDr Kirsteen McCue is a lecturer in Scottish Literature in the Department of Scottish Literature at the University of Glasgow and Associate Director of the Centre for Robert Burns Studies recently established there. She was co-editor with Marjorie Rycroft and Warwick Edwards on two volumes of Joseph Haydn's folksong settings for Thomson for the new Joseph Haydn Werke in 2001 and 2005 and has recently contributed 'An individual flowering on a common stem': the importance of melody and performance in British Romantic song culture , to Popular Culture and Romanticism in Britain and Ireland, eds. Phil Connell & Nigel Leask, (Cambridge: CUP, 2008).
- Author(s)James Hogg
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication30/07/2014
- LanguageEnglish & Scots
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleThe Collected Works of James Hogg
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Weight816 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edited byKirsteen McCue
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.