Sophie's World: A Novel about the History of Philosophy by Jostein Gaarder (CD-Audio, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $61.78Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $71.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne day fourteen-year-old Sophie Amundsen comes home from school to find in her mailbox two tes, with one question on each: Who are you? and Where does the world come from? From that strange but irresistible beginning, Sophie becomes obsessed with these and other questions that explore matters both small and large, some that take her mind far beyond what she kws of her family and life in her Norwegian village. Through those letters, she enrolls in a kind of correspondence course, covering Socrates to Sartre, with a mysterious philosopher, while receiving a separate batch of equally unusual letters addressed to ather girl. Who is Hilde? And why does her mail keep turning up in Sophie's world? To unravel this riddle, Sophie must make use of the philosophy she is learning but the truth turns out to be far more complicated than she could have imagined.A page-turning vel that is also an exploration of the great philosophical concepts of Western thought, Sophie's World has fired the imagination of readers all over the world, having been translated into forty-five languages and with over twenty million copies in print.
- Author BiographyJostein Gaarder was born in Oslo, Norway, in 1952. He taught high school philosophy for several years, before publishing a collection of short stories in 1986 and, shortly thereafter, his first two novels, The Solitaire Mystery and Sophie's World, and several others since then. He lives in Oslo with his family.Simon Vance is the critically acclaimed narrator of approximately 400 audiobooks, winner of twenty-seven AudioFile Earphones Awards, and a twelve-time Audie nominee (including three nominations for the 2007 multi-cast recording of Dune). He won an Audie in 2006 in the category of Science Fiction and was named the 2009 Best Voice in Fiction & Classics and the 2008 Best Voice in Mystery & Suspense by AudioFile magazine. Simon has been a narrator for the past twenty-five years, and he also worked for many years as a BBC Radio presenter and newsreader in London. Some of his best-selling and most critically acclaimed performances include Ian Fleming's Casino Royale, Mark Haddon's A Spot of Bother, Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series (all 21 titles), the new productions of Frank Herbert's original Dune series, Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Rob Gifford's China Road (an AudioFile 2007 Book of the Year). Simon lives near San Francisco with his wife and two sons.
- Author(s)Jostein Gaarder
- PublisherMacMillan Audio
- Date of Publication20/03/2007
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMacMillan Audio
- Weight449 g
- Width132 mm
- Height149 mm
- Spine51 mm
- Translated byPaulette Moller
- Read bySimon Vance
- Contained items statement15 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time1020
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $20.14Trending at AU $35.44
- AU $28.57Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $48.99Trending at AU $55.35
- AU $31.18Trending at AU $37.14
- AU $14.77Trending at AU $19.69
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $45.78
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $37.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.