All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Sophocles ...created a masterpiece that in the eyes of posterity has overshadowed every other achievement in the field of ancient drama ...' With these words Dr Dawe sets out the importance of Oedipus Rex. He investigates why it has for so long fascinated the human mind, devoting his introduction to an examination of the story and to the technique employed by Sophocles to unfold the plot. In this revised edition he also argues for the spurious nature of the play's ending. As with the first edition, the commentary deals authoritatively with problems of language and expression, but is enhanced by reflections on the text developed in the twenty years since the publication of that first edition. Written for classical scholars and students, this is a welcome revised edition of a bestselling text.
- Author BiographyR. D. Dawe is Senior Research Fellow (retired) at Trinity College Cambridge. He has been a visiting Lecturer at Harvard University and visiting Professor at the University of Colorado and the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication27/07/2006
- LanguageEnglish & Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleCambridge Greek and Latin Classics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight270 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byR.D. Dawe
- Series Edited byP. E. Easterling,Philip Hardie,Richard Hunter,E. J. Kenney
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
- AU $15.69Trending at AU $23.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.