All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this collection, which the poet calls his rebirth in the search for home, Ray Gonzalez expresses the gentle, humble intelligence that has made him a leading voice in Lati letters. He shares with the reader the voice of a soul searcher who has passed through middle age and still vibrates with passion for the world. Gonzalez shows his profound respect for other people, species, places, elements, and histories. Illusions to religious imagery kck against those of the natural world--feathers and rocks--creating a complex tableau of objects and feelings. Employing the image-driven approach for which he is rewned, in this collection Gonzalez is taut, using poetics that are fully formed. Even as the poems weave together highly intellectual, refined subject matter, the language remains accessible. The book is divided into three parts. The first section offers Gonzalez's most personal work yet, meditating on aging, forgetting, and the reader. The next section is more outward looking, as Gonzalez takes on great artists from both Old World and New World traditions. Finally, in the last section, Gonzalez opens himself up, reflecting in very personal ways on the everyday, such as a return from a hospital stay or a visit to the doctor. Soul Over Lightning weaves together elements of Native American and Chica/a narratives, inspired by the landscape of the desert Southwest and the experience of living on the border. It offers a new supernarrative that lifts spirits and yet remains grounded in a timeless search for home and truth.
- Author BiographyRay Gonzalez is the author of fourteen books and also has edited more than a dozen anthologies of poetry and fiction. He is the recipient of the Carr P. Collins/Texas Institute of Letters Award, the PEN/Oakland Josephine Miles Book Award, the Western Heritage Award, the Latino Heritage Award, and the Minnesota Book Award. He is a professor of literature at the University of Minnesota.
- Author(s)Ray Gonzalez
- PublisherUniversity of Arizona Press
- Date of Publication30/08/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleCamino del Sol
- Place of PublicationTucson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Arizona Press
- Weight136 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Edition Statement2nd
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.