All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSound has always been an integral component of the moviegoing experience. Even during the so-called silent era, motion pictures were regularly accompanied by live music, lectures, and sound effects. Today, whether we listen to movies in booming Dolby theaters or on tiny laptop speakers, sonic elements hold our attention and guide our emotional responses. Yet few of us are fully aware of the tremendous collaborative work, involving both artistry and technical wizardry, required to create that cinematic soundscape.Sound, the latest book in the Behind the Silver Screen series, introduces key concepts, seminal moments, and pivotal figures in the development of cinematic sound. Each of the book s six chapters cover a different era in the history of Hollywood, from silent films to the digital age, and each is written by an expert in that period. Together, the book s contributors are able to explore a remarkable range of past and present film industry practices, from the hiring of elocution coaches to the marketing of soundtrack records. Not only does the collection highlight the achievements of rewned sound designers and film composers like Ben Burtt and John Williams, it also hors the unsung workers whose inventions, artistry, and performances have shaped the soundscapes of many table movies. After you read Sound, you ll never see or hear movies in quite the same way.Sound is a volume in the Behind the Silver Screen series other titles in the series include Acting; Animation; Art Direction and Production Design; Cinematography; Costume, Makeup, and Hair; Directing; Editing and Special Visual Effects; Producing; and Screenwriting.
- Author BiographyKATHRYN KALINAK is the author of Settling the Score: Music and the Classical Hollywood Film. In 2011, she was named Mary Tucker Thorp Professor at Rhode Island College.
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleBehind the Silver Screen
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight490 g
- Width151 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byProfessor of English and Film Studies Kathryn Kalinak
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.