All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPerforming arts in most parts of Maritime Southeast Asia are seen as an entity, where music and dance, sound and movement, acoustic and tactile elements intermingle and complement each other. Although this fact is widely kwn and referenced, most scholarly works in the performing arts so far have either focused on music or dance rather than treating the two in combination. The authors in this book look at both aspects in performance, moreover, they focus explicitly on the interrelation between the two, on both descriptive-analytical and metaphorical levels. The book includes diverse examples of regional performing art genres from Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines. All case studies are composed from the perspective of the relatively new approach and field of eth-choreomusicology. This particular compilation gives an exemplary overview of various phemena in movement-sound relations, and offers for the first time a thorough study of the phemen that is considered essential for the performing arts in Maritime Southeast Asia - the inseparability of movement and sound.
- Author BiographyMohd Anis Md Nor is former Professor of Ethnochoreology and Ethnomusicology at the Cultural Centre (School of Performing Arts), University of Malaya in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. He is Chair of the Publication Committee of ICTM Study Group on Performing Arts of Southeast Asia, and Adjunct Professor at the Faculty of Music and Performing Arts, Sultan Idris Education University, Perak, Malaysia. Kendra Stepputat is Senior Lecturer in Ethnomusicology at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, Austria. Her research topics include Balinese performing arts, sound-movement interrelations, and tango argentino in European perspective. She is editor of Performing Arts in Postmodern Bali (2013).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication08/07/2016
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleSOAS Musicology Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight430 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byKendra Stepputat,Mohd Anis Md Nor
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.