All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEver wondered why our towns and villages are so named? Were they a deliberate creation by our ancestors or did they evolve naturally over time? Which river was named from the blackberries which grow there? Why would a rock be called the Pig's Nose? What links beer and cathedrals? Why is Mincing Lake t a lake but a river? And just who were Peter and Mary Tavy? In these pages we examine the origins of the names with which we are otherwise so familiar. Towns, villages, districts, hills, streams, woods, farms, fields, streets and even pubs are examined and explained. The definitions are supported by anecdotal evidence, bringing to life the individuals and events which have influenced the places and the way these names have developed. This is t just a dictionary, but a history too, and will prove invaluable t only for those who live and work in the county but also to visitors and tourists, historians and former inhabitants, indeed anyone with an interest in South Devon.
- Author BiographyAnthony Poulton-Smith is a prolific writer, who has written many local history books and has a particular interest in the origin of place names. He is also the author of Paranormal Cotswolds, Northamptonshire Place Names, Hampshire Place Names, Oxfordshire Place Names and South Staffordshire Street Names - all published by Amberley.
- Author(s)Anthony Poulton-Smith
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication01/04/2010
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.