South Korean Golden Age Melodrama: Gender, Genre, and National Cinema by Wayne State University Press (Paperback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $48.79Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- Est. delivery by 15 Mar
- AU $45.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionImmediately following the Korean War, South Korea's film industry flourished with vibrant local production of high-quality films. Characterized by its stunning melodramas, this Golden Age of South Korean cinema produced a body of work as historically, aesthetically, and politically significant as that of other well-kwn national film movements. South Korean Golden Age Melodrama is the first English-language book to examine this era of remarkable activity, covering the specifics of the Golden Age as well as the influences it has had on contemporary South Korean film and television. Combining textual analysis, reception, and historical/cultural detail, South Korean Golden Age Melodrama skillfully renders the complexity of the Golden Age. Contributors cite both domestic and foreign films to demonstrate the generic and transnational impact of Golden Age cinema, sometimes calling into question the very integrity of national cinema in light of the workings of a transcultural cinema sphere during that era.
- Author BiographyKathleen McHugh is associate professor of English at the University of California, Los Angeles. She is author of several books, including American Domesticity: From How-To Manual to Hollywood Melodrama (Oxford, 1999). Nancy Abelmann is associate professor of anthropology and East Asian studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She is author of several books, most recently The Melodrama of Mobility: Women, Class, and Talk in Contemporary South Korea (University of Hawai'i Press, 2003).
- PublisherWayne State University Press
- Date of Publication28/02/2005
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleContemporary Approaches to Film and Media Series
- Place of PublicationDetroit, MI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWayne State University Press
- Content Note18 illustrations
- Weight449 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byKathleen Anne McHugh,Nancy Abelmann
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.51Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.