Save on Other
- AU $28.28Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $19.14Trending at AU $20.03
- AU $18.01Trending at AU $34.82
- AU $15.00Trending at AU $26.03
- AU $21.99Trending at AU $23.17
- AU $16.36Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $22.50Trending at AU $22.88
About this product
- DescriptionEver wondered where our towns and villages get their names from? Were they a deliberate creation by our ancestors or did they evolve naturally over time? South Staffordshire Street Names examines the origins of the names with which we are otherwise so familiar. Towns, villages, districts, hills, streams, woods, farms, fields, streets and even pubs are examined and explained. Some of the definitions give a glimpse of life in the earlier days of the settlement, and for the author there is thing more satisfying than finding a name which gives such a snapshot. The definitions are supported by anecdotal evidence, bringing to life the individuals and events which have influenced the places and the way these names have developed. This is t just a dictionary but a history and will prove invaluable t only for those who live and work in the county but also visitors and tourists, historians and former inhabitants, indeed anyone with an interest in Staffordshire.
- Author BiographyAnthony Poulton-Smith is a prolific writer, who has written many local history books. He has a particular interest in the origin of place names and he has also written Paranormal Cotswolds, Devon Place Names, Oxfordshire Place Names and Hampshire Place Names.
- Author(s)Anthony Poulton-Smith
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/10/2009
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note32
- Width166 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.