Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $49.31Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $24.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis work is a moving meditation on what Florida has lost and still stands to lose The Florida I love is perishing, says Sudye Cauthen. In Southern Comforts , this fifth-generation Floridian blends memoir, oral history, and cultural geography to explore the tensions between community and environment in America today and her own ambivalence about Alachua, the place just rth of Gainesville where she was born and reared. Cauthen raises a cry for all that is lost as Florida's, and America's, landscapes and traditions are replaced by interstates, condos, shopping malls, and the new way of life they represent. Part self-reflection, part meditation, and part social analysis, Cauthen's work threads through the stories of blacks, whites, and Native Americans - men and women - including her own family members. Through their words and hers, Cauthen explores rthern Florida's unique history, culture, and geography while she seeks a greater understanding of herself and her surroundings. Cauthen's journey takes readers down dirt roads and city streets, to her people's tobacco fields and churches. She sifts sand at an archaeological dig for the lost Spanish mission of Santa Fe de Toloca, peers into an aboriginal grave, and everywhere marshals evidence for the primacy of place in determining who we are. One story takes us on a fox hunt; ather reveals lingering racial problems. Permeating, the book is the ever-present menace of growth and development and what it holds for Cauthen's Florida.
- Author BiographySudye Cauthen, founder of the North Florida Center for Documentary Studies, directed Florida's first Folk-Arts-in-the-Schools program. She is also the author of The Salvation of Maggie Rider: Stories from Nokofta. Her awards include two state of Florida Individual Artist Fellowships in Literature. Her work has appeared in such publications as the Chattahoochee Review, Florida Review, International Quarterly, Kalliope, and The New Encyclopedia of Southern Culture. Cauthen lives on the Suwannee River near White Springs, Florida.
- Author(s)Sudye Cauthen
- PublisherCenter for American Places,US
- Date of Publication15/03/2008
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCenter for American Places,US
- Content Note24 b&w photos, 7 maps, 33 illustrations
- Weight753 g
- Width172 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.07New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.44
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.