All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGiven the consolidated position of English as the international language for communication in business and management, as well as in institutional contexts, this book depicts a wide parama of encounters where identity, image and reputation are a key focus in creating effective interactions. The main theme of the work is how temporal and spatial meaning representations in language reflect and, in turn, construct these personal, professional and corporate identities. From each chapter different sociolinguistic realities emerge which affect English, as it is used by both native and n-native speakers, especially in the relationship between local or national cultures and the global professional discourse community. In this context t only have domain-specific language features been analysed, but also the communication strategies and interactive patterns at work in how different geo-political cultures construe, manifest and adjust their identities over the course of time and in varying physical, virtual, and cognitive spaces.
- Author BiographyRita Salvi is full professor in English Linguistics and Translation in the Faculty of Economics, Sapienza University of Rome. Her research interests include general and applied linguistics, text and genre analysis, intercultural discourse for academic and professional purposes, analysis of specialized languages (economics and law). She serves as reviewer for journals, book publishers and research funding entities. Janet Bowker is a tenured researcher and adjunct professor in English Linguistics and Translation in the Faculty of Economics, Sapienza University of Rome. Her research interests lie mainly in academic and professional discourse analysis, corpus linguistics, and socio-cognitive pragmatics. Her self-compiled specialised corpora of business discourse have been used to investigate a variety of topics including the processes of description, evaluation and persuasion in internal and intercultural corporate discourse, and multimodality, genre and register in virtual professional space.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication15/06/2013
- Series TitleLinguistic Insights
- Series Part/Volume Number166
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight480 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edited byJanet Bowker,Rita Salvi
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.