All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book and CD package is similar in design to other books in the Paso a Paso Series for Health Care Professionals. This package is specifically for mental health workers attempting to break through language and cultural barriers between English- and Spanish-speaking participants. The suggested application is a small group setting in the workplace in which a fluent Spanish speaker serves as a facilitator at one hour sessions held once a week. The learner is expected to work daily on exercises and practice listening and responding to the CD. The premise is that the beginning learner will t be alone in a situation where a conversation is beyond their ability; the vice speaker will be part of a team and will acquire greater competency through active, on-the-job speaking and listening. All too often n-English-speaking newcomers are isolated, separated from the family support systems they once enjoyed in their native countries. They are overwhelmed and don't realize assistance is available to address the depression, anger, and frustration they are feeling. This handbook and CD set will help mental health and social workers reach across the language barriers to help their clients.
- Author BiographyDeborah Bender is a professor in the School of Public Health at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. She is also a co-director of Pasos, the Language and Culture Learning Initiative, sponsored by the North Carolina Area Health Education Centers. Christina Harlan is a research instructor in the School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Linda Ko is a doctoral student in the Department of Health Behavior and Health Education in the School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Alicia Gonzalez is a Psychiatric Clinical Nurse Specialist who was born in Honduras. Irwin Stern facilitated the development of a medical Spanish program at Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons and went on to direct the program from 1987 to 1997.
- Author(s)Alicia Gonzalez,Christina Harlan,Deborah E. Bender,Irwin Stern,Linda Ko
- PublisherUniversity of New Mexico Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2006
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationAlbuquerque, NM
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of New Mexico Press
- Content Note6 halftones
- Weight290 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.