All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $62.46
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionUmkhonto we Sizwe, Spear of the Nation, was arguably the last of the great liberation armies of the twentieth century-but it never got to \u201cmarch triumphant into Pretoria.\u201d MK-as it was kwn-was the armed wing of the African National Congress, South Africa's liberation movement, that challenged the South African apartheid government. A small group of revolutionaries committed to the seizure of power, MK discovered its principal members engaged in negotiated settlement with the enemy and was disbanded soon after. The history of MK is one of paradox and contradiction, of successes and failures. In this short study, which draws widely on the personal experiences of-and commentary by-MK soldiers, Janet Cherry offers a new and nuanced account of the Spear of the Nation. She presents in broad outline the various stages of MK's thirty-year history, considers the difficult strategic and moral problems the revolutionary army faced, and argues that its operations are likely to be remembered as a just war conducted with considerable restraint.
- Author BiographyJanet Cherry is a human rights activist, researcher, and academic who teaches at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. She has written and published on the history of the liberation struggle for the South African Democratic Education Trust.
- Author(s)Janet Cherry
- PublisherOhio University Press
- Date of Publication06/08/2012
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Series TitleOhio Short Histories of Africa
- Place of PublicationOhio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio University Press
- Weight113 g
- Width2921 mm
- Height4522 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.