Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $20.56Trending at AU $28.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.65
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.25
About this product
- DescriptionThis work offers a dazzling look behind the scenes of movie magic. From the ghosts of the 19th-century stage to the astonishing, galactic worlds of Star Wars , this title from veteran science writer Miller offers a fascinating overview of special effects. Miller points out that movies themselves are an illusion, and the first section covers the history and early techlogy of the field (ghosts were created by reflecting an actor's image onto an angled sheet of glass, for example). The second section focuses on specific contemporary techniques, from miniatures and matte art to the digital revolution. Frequent inset boxes spotlight topics such as the pioneers of the field and provide tips for pursuing a career in special effects. An excellent mix of photographs, including stills of special-effects triumphs ranging from the original King Kong to The Matrix and close-ups of experts at work, will easily pull browsers and researchers alike to this comprehensive title. A list of films that have won Academy Awards for special effects, a glossary, and suggestions for further reading conclude.
- Author BiographyRon Miller is a Hugo Award-winning author and illustrator. He also created the World Beyond series, in which four titles won the 2003 American Institute of Physics Science Writing Award in Physics and Astronomy and were named Bank Street College's Best Children Book of the Year.
- Author(s)Ron Miller
- PublisherLerner Publishing Group
- Date of Publication14/09/2006
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationMinneapolis
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLerner Publishing Group
- Content Notefull-colour photos & illustrations throughout
- Weight609 g
- Width225 mm
- Height292 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Reading AgeFrom 12
- Interest Age9-15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.