Spectacular Miracles: Transforming Images in Italy, from the Renaissance to the Present by Jane Garnett, Gevase Rosser (Hardback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $62.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSpectacular Miracles confronts an enduring Western belief in the supernatural power of images, for example the belief that a statue or painting of the Madonna can fly through the air, speak, weep or produce miraculous cures. Although discomforting to widely-held assumptions, the cults of particular paintings and statues held to be miraculous have persisted beyond the middle ages into the present, even in a modern European city such as Gea, the primary focus of this book. Spectacular Miracles draws upon rich documentation from rthwest Italy and elsewhere to show how, in a range of historical contexts, these images 'work'. Ritual animation of the image is vividly evoked, as is the phemelogy of the beholder's experience. The subversive potential of the miraculous image to bypass clerical and secular authority is a central theme. Reproducibility enhances this power: devotion is hard to control when a copy of a venerated image (even in a digital form mediated by the internet) is held to carry the same supernatural potential as the original. Spectacular Miracles engages with the history, anthropology and visual culture of images and religion, and is a convincing study of the power of faith and art.
- Author BiographyJane Garnett is Fellow and Tutor in History at Wadham College, Oxford. She has published and taught widely on the history of Christianity, visual culture, gender and philosophy. Gervase Rosser is Fellow and Tutor in the History of Art at St Catherine's College, Oxford. His research and publications have focused on the social, visual and religious culture of medieval and Renaissance cities.
- Author(s)Gevase Rosser,Jane Garnett
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication01/05/2013
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note100 colour, 50 black and white
- Weight1225 g
- Width190 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $29.85Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.