All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAfter more than thirty years of teaching writing skills and developing his own unique mechanics exercises at a top New York school, Jim Halverson decided to share his successful methods with a wider audience. The result is Spelling Works, a book that makes the difficult task of English orthography both engaging and fun. As Halverson says, Every teacher kws the inefficiency of teaching spelling by rote memorisation. The kids study for the quizzes, do well on them, and then misspell many of the same words the next day in their own writing. To involve students, he created exercises that are each part of an ongoing story, and at the end of each unit they review the new concept with games and a spelling maze . An added benefit of exercises that are stories is that the students also learn better proof-reading skills as they scan sentences for misspellings.
- Author BiographyJim Halverson grew up in Indianapolis, graduated from Brown University, and lived in Paris. After teaching in Baltimore, he and his wife Anita moved to New York where he taught at Saint Ann's, a private nonsectarian school, for more than thirty years and also wrote six books for Scholastic, Inc. He is now retired, and he and Anita split their time between New York and Maine.
- Author(s)Jim Halverson
- PublisherBetter Karma, LLC
- Date of Publication30/07/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationAlexandria
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBetter Karma, LLC
- Weight340 g
- Width215 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.77Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.