All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMeet Hiro. She's tall, lanky and awkward a twenty-something Japanese woman who has decamped to Vietnam from Tokyo to work as a language teacher. Meet Dung. She's shy, beautiful, and tough a young Vietnamese woman studying Japanese, determined to create a better life for herself and her family. When Dung becomes one of Hiro's students, they are instantly drawn to each other. For both of them, it is their first time in love with ather woman. But when Kon, an older Japanese businessman, befriends Hiro, Dung begins to grow unbearably jealous. What unfolds is a love triangle with very complicated, ultimately devastating, results. Set against the backdrop of a Vietnam on the ecomic rise, debut velist Aska Mochizuki vividly brings to life the buzz of motorcycles and the tastes of Vietnamese coffee and spicy papaya salads; the confines of the Vietnamese family; the lingering effects of long wars; the rich who ride the ecomic wave and the poor who are left behind. Spinning Tropics is a lush and evocative story of an intoxicating love affair.
- Author BiographyAska Mochizuki was born in Tokyo in 1973. In 1992, after graduating from high school, she found employment at a computer company. But she left the corporate world in 1994 to travel around Australia by bus, taking on a series of part-time jobs (as a shark fisherman's helper and a cleaning woman at a backpacker's hostel, to name a few.) She returned home and attended university, graduating in 2002 with a teaching certificate. She embarked immediately to Vietnam, to teach Japanese, and returned home to Tokyo in 2004, where she began to write. Spinning Tropics was the 2007 winner of the Knopf Kodansha Prize.
- Author(s)Aska Mochizuki
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication15/05/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2010
- ImprintVintage Books
- Weight259 g
- Width135 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Translated byWayne P Lammers
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $77.19
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $24.84
- AU $14.54Trending at AU $15.56
- AU $10.42Trending at AU $18.63
- AU $20.24Trending at AU $25.34
- AU $14.25Trending at AU $17.10
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $14.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.