All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRewned for his metaphysics, Spiza made significant contributions to understanding the human mind, the emotions, moral philosophy, and political philosophy. Beginning with an overview of Spiza's life, Michael Della Rocca carefully unpacks and explains Spiza's philosophy: his metaphysics of substance and argument at the center of his whole system that God is the sole independent substance; his account of the human mind and its relation to the body; his theory that human beings tend towards self-preservation and his most famous work, the Ethics, including the problem of free will; and his writings on the state, religion and scripture. Della Rocca concludes with a chapter on Spiza's legacy and how modern philosophers, Hume, Hegel, and Nietzsche, responded to Spiza's challenge. Ideal for those coming to Spiza for the first time as well as those already acquainted with his thought, Spiza is essential reading for anyone studying philosophy.
- Author BiographyMichael Della Rocca is Professor and Chair of Philosophy at Yale University. He is the author of Representation and the Mind Body Problem in Spinoza, and our numerous articles in early modern philosophy and contemporary metaphysics.
- Author(s)Michael Della Rocca
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication25/06/2008
- Series TitleThe Routledge Philosophers
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight453 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.