All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt a time when the New Age movement is starting to make good on the Spiritualists' vision of America as a 'grand clairvoyant nation', Carroll's work raises provocative questions about the tension betwen freedom and authority in the harmonial religions of today. -Church History ...offers the most comprehensive, sane examination of its topic yet available, mean achievement for a subject long afflicted by religious partisanship and w perhaps in danger of sympathetic attraction. -Journal of American History ...fascinating reading it will be for those with a taste for good scholarly writing and a love of the American past and the manifold varieties of the spiritual quest. -The Quest In addition to being an excellent introduction to mid-19th-century Spiritualism, Carroll's work also offers scholars a new vantage point from which to view the religious creativity that was so prominent in antebellum America in general. -Choice During the decade before the Civil War, a growing number of Americans gathered around tables in dimly lit rooms, joined hands, and sought enlightening contact with spirits. The result was Spiritualism, a distinctly colorful religious ideology centered on spirit communication and spirit activity. Spiritualism in Antebellum America analyzes the attempt by spiritually restless Americans of the 1840s and 1850s to negotiate a satisfying combination of freedom and authority as they sought a sense of harmony with the universe.
- Author BiographyBret E. Carroll is Visiting Assistant Professor of History at the University of Texas at Arlington.
- Author(s)Bret E. Carroll
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication01/06/1997
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleReligion in North America
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note7 b&w photos, 1 bibliog.
- Weight485 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.