All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSport, Beer, and Gender: Promotional Culture and Contemporary Social Life brings together a group of esteemed international scholars to focus on the important, complex, and mutually reinforcing relationships between sport, beer, and gender in fashioning promotional strategies and shaping global cultures of consumption. Collectively, the book examines a well-kwn social constellation that has received little specific scholarly attention although it sits at the axis of many lines of expanding inquiry in sport studies, media studies, gender studies, cultural studies, consumer studies, and the study of alcohol and substance abuse. The essays gathered here interrogate and trace beer as a commodity as it circumnavigates the circuit of commodification including: (1) institutions and production, (2) texts and representation, and (3) consumption and reception; they explore how it moves from concept to reality, from the private to the public realm, and ultimately its effects on contemporary gendered identity.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Lawrence A. Wenner (Ph.D., University of Iowa) is Von der Ahe Professor of Communication and Ethics at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles. He is a former editor of the Journal of Sport and Social Issues and his books include Media, Sports, and Society and MediaSport. His research focuses media criticism on the ethics of racial and gender portrayals in commodified narratives. Steven J. Jackson (Ph.D., University of Illinois) is Professor in the School of Physical Education at the University of Otago, New Zealand. He is President of the International Sociology of Sport Association (ISSA) and his books include: Sport, Culture and Advertising, Sport Stars and Sport and Cultural Diversity in a Globalising World. His research focuses on globalization, national identity, and media.
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/11/2008
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitlePopular Culture and Everyday Life
- Series Part/Volume Number17
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2008
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight460 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edited byLawrence A. Wenner,Steve Jackson
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $13.42Trending at AU $19.99
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.85
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $17.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.