All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChristopher Merrett uses physical recreation as a lens through which to view the political, social, ecomic and cultural history of the South African city of Pietermaritzburg. He traces successive ideologies of imperialism, colonial segregation and apartheid to show how sport was used to keep communities apart. This is a story of insiders and outsiders. Sport in Pietermaritzburg was white sport. The resultant geography provides an insight into the psychology of racism. After the imposition of group areas legislation, access to recreation facilities became a powerful cause for the city's anti-apartheid coalition. Sport provided an opportunity, one of the few in a police state, for meaningful protest.
- Author BiographyChristopher Merrett works for The Witness, Pietermaritzburg's daily newspaper. During the apartheid years he was secretary of the non-racial Maritzburg District Cricket Union and an inter-provincial umpire. He has written widely on the political history of South African sport and is the co-author with Bruce Murray of Caught Behind: Race and Politics in Springbok Cricket.
- Author(s)Christopher Merrett
- PublisherUniversity of KwaZulu-Natal Press
- Date of Publication16/02/2009
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationScottsville, Kwazulu-Natal
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintUniversity of KwaZulu-Natal Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, map
- Weight680 g
- Width170 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.