Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is the nature of athletic performance? This book offers an answer to this fascinating question by considering the relationship between sport, techlogy and the body. Specifically, it examines cultural resistance to the enhancement of athletes and explores the ways in which performance techlogies complicate and confound our conception of the sporting body. The book addresses concerns about the techlogical invasion of the natural body to investigate expectations that athletic performances reflect thing more than the actual capacity of the untainted athlete. By examining a series of case studies, including Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius, Fastskin swimsuits, hypoxic chambers and an array of illicit substances and methods, the book distinguishes between internal and external techlogies to highlight the ways that performance enhancement, and public reaction to it, can be read. Sport, Techlogy and the Body offers a powerful challenge to conventional views of athletic performance that stand authenticity against artifice, integrity against corruption, and athletic purity against techlogical intrusion. It is essential reading for all serious students of the sociology, culture or ethics of sport.
- Author BiographyTara Magdalinski is the Academic Director of the Centre for Sports Studies at University College Dublin. Her research focuses on the construction of social identities and the production of historical narratives through sport. She co-edited With God on Their Side: Sport in the Service of Religion (Routledge, 2002).
- Author(s)Tara Magdalinski
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/10/2008
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note15 black & white illustrations
- Weight453 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.