All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book both defines sports discourse, and provides an account of the different discourses that are utilized and come into play when the field of sport speaks. It shows how the sports communities have been addressed over time by various speakers, across various multimodal genres. Tony Schirato looks first at how discourse can be viewed as a form of work, something that produces and naturalizes meanings, and habituates the way we see the world. Grounding this exploration is an account of the development of the field of sport as a specific discursive regime, one that is both reflected and refracted by the dominant discourses and values of the time. These discourses have become naturalized and shape activities and materialities at local and global levels. The book ends with an examination of how new techlogies and the Web are changing sports discourse, in some cases radically via online commentary, Twitter and user-generated content.
- Author BiographyTony Schirato is Reader in Media Studies, Victoria Wellington University, New Zealand.
- Author(s)Tony Schirato
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication12/09/2013
- Series TitleBloomsbury Discourse
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight420 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $36.17Trending at AU $70.69
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $99.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.