All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSt. Albert the Great began teaching at the University of Paris in 1243 - just two years after the Parisian Condemnation of 1241, which affirmed that created and finite intellects will see the divine essence directly in their beatific visions. This book translates and examines key texts in which St. Albert explains how it is possible for such intellects to kw the infinite divine essence in patria. With careful attention given to the philosophical and theological traditions that converged in thirteenth-century Paris, St. Albert the Great's Theory of the Beatific Vision reveals the foundation of St. Albert's thought, demonstrating that beneath his Aristotelian termilogy lies a Neo-Platonic epistemology and metaphysics wherein reality is identified with light. Providing detailed context for St. Albert's thought, this book also contrasts his views with those of his student, St. Thomas Aquinas, and their contemporary, St. Bonaventure. The result is a valuable resource for anyone exploring the unique commingling of philosophy and theology that reached its golden age in the scholastics of the thirteenth century.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Jeffrey P. Hergan is Adjunct Professor of Philosophy at Saint Xavier University in Chicago. He received his Ph.D. in philosophy from Loyola University, Chicago. In addition to his current research in medieval metaphysics and epistemology, he is the editor of the medieval philosophy component of the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Author(s)Jeffrey P. Hergan
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/09/2002
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight380 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.