All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSt. Anne's of the Locks is set in the Midlands in the early part of the twentieth century, against the backdrop of the First World War and its aftermath. The title comes from the name of a mental asylum, to which were admitted, in addition to the mentally ill, various social misfits, troublesome nconformists, unmarried pregnant women and women who were suffering from postnatal depression, domestic violence, diseases associated with poverty and malurishment. The main character is one such woman, Mary Brownhill, a country girl who goes into service with a family of industrialists. She is a free spirit who aspires to better things and has her mind opened up through reading. Her employer, James Fawcett, who is inspired by radical political views, at odds with his social background, encourages her in this and the two fall in love. What follows is t just the thwarting of this relationship as a result of the interplay of history, war, class, gender, social mores and chance, but also the impact on other people in their family and social circles. From the confines of St. Anne's, Mary's voice, like that of the other women incarcerated there, calls out for her story to be told. Yet the vel is equally concerned with the fate of James, who is taken from the battlefields of France to recuperate at St. Anne's. Faced with the perversity of what has happened to him and Mary, he first attempts to take refuge in the gold mines of South Africa, before returning for the final deuement of the story.
- Author BiographyMargaret A. Majumdar writes fiction and non-fiction works, with a specialism in the Francophone world. Now retired from full-time academic life, she lives in London with her family.
- Author(s)Margaret A Majumdar
- Date of Publication04/02/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight581 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.13
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $12.14Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.53
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $30.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.