All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first of its kind, this timely anthology brings together six contemporary Australian plays that offer a range of narratives and perspectives on asylum seekers. A vexed issue within the Australian community -- particularly among politicians, who often use asylum seekers to further their own ends -- this collection contributes to Australia's ongoing discourse on unauthorised asylum seekers, immigration detention, border control and the right to belong. This eclectic collection includes CMI (A Certain Maritime Incident) by version 1.0 , a smart, ironic verbatim work that deals with the Children Overboard Affair and the SIEV X disaster; The Rainbow Dark by Victoria Carless, a surreal domestic satire about immigration detention; The Pacific Solution by Ben Eltham, which takes armchair cricket commentary as a point of departure for a farce about the Howard government's excision of migration territory; Halal-el-Mashakel by Linda Jaivin, which looks at the friendship between two detained asylum seekers; Journey of Asylum -- Waiting devised by Catherine Simmonds, a series of vignettes based upon the personal experiences of asylum seekers and refugees living in Melbourne; and Nothing But Nothing by Towfiq Al-Qady, an autobiographical play about childhood and war. With a main Introduction as well as separate introductions to each play by Editor and Drama Lecturer Dr Emma Cox, Staging Asylum recognises the crucial role that theatre has played -- and continues to play -- in one of Australia's most hotly debated and urgent contemporary issues.
- Author BiographyDR Emma Cox is a Lecturer in Drama and Theatre at Royal Holloway, University of London. Her research interests include the representation and participation of refugees and asylum seekers in contemporary theatre, film and writing in Australia, South Africa and the UK. Emma co-ordinates the Performance and Asylum transnational research network at Royal Holloway, which brings together scholars, practitioners and stakeholders of refugee theatre for the UK, Europe, USA, Canada and Australia. She is the author of Theatre & Migration, forthcoming from Palgrave.
- PublisherCurrency Press Pty Ltd
- Date of Publication01/10/2013
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Place of PublicationPaddington
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintCurrency Press Pty Ltd
- Content Noteb/w photos
- Weight278 g
- Width135 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byEmma Cox
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $99.95
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.15
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.