All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEven though former slaves Annie Coats and her son Gabriel have managed to buy their freedom, their lives are still marked by constant struggle and sacrifice - to the extent that Annie secretly recalls her days on the plantation with fondness. Washington's Georgetown neighbourhood, where they are seeking to build their new lives - with Gabriel, a tailor, producing uniforms for soldiers and fine suits for pompous politicians, and Annie, a seamstress and laundress, catering to the nearby brothels and stately homes - is supposed to be a safe haven, a 'promised land' for former slaves, but is effectively a frontier town, gritty and dangerous, with laws protecting black people. In fact, the city's own emancipation efforts in 1862 serve only to compromise the family's status, putting Gabriel's three young daughters (each of them born free of free parents) at risk of becoming the property of the family's former master...
- Author BiographyBreena Clarke grew up in Washington, DC, and was educated at Webster College and Howard University. Her one previous novel, RIVER, CROSS MY HEART, was a selection of Oprah's Book Club and became an international bestseller.
- Author(s)Breena Clarke
- PublisherLittle, Brown & Company
- Date of Publication06/08/2009
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGrand Central Publishing
- Out-of-print date24/12/2015
- Weight323 g
- Width137 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.27
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $21.72Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $20.46
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $28.10Trending at AU $28.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.