All listings for this product
About this product
- Description' Alexandra had just begun his studies at university when he was diagsed with a rare bone cancer. In this honest account, Alex's mother traces the impact of the diagsis, treatment and terminal stages of her son's illness'. -Human Givens 'Although I have been immersed in these issues about 15 years, this book gripped me and moved me profoundly. It manages to achieve sensitivity without sentimentality, and highlights the humanity and dignity of Alexander and his family, during some very undignified experiences...This book needs to be read by everyone.' - Myrna Whiteson, The Teenage Cancer Trust, UK Alexander had just begun his studies at university when he was diagsed with a rare bone cancer. In this honest account, Alex's mother traces the impact of the diagsis on the whole family and outlines the issues that arose during diagsis, treatment and terminal stages of her son's illness. Standing on His Own Two Feet offers an insight into how health care systems serve the terminally ill, the choices faced by families, and ways of providing the best possible care at home and maintaining the patient's dignity until the end. In particular, Sue Grant deals sensitively with the care needs of young adults. Portraying a family of admirable resilience and strength, this inspiring and moving book offers support and practical tips for anybody encountering terminal illness and presents valuable discussion points for all nursing, health and social care professionals.
- Author BiographySue Grant lives with her family in Germany, where for 16 years she was a teacher in adult education. The cancer of her eldest son was the starting point of her writing career, and she now works as freelance journalist. She is a columnist with Bereavement, USA, contributing editor and book review editor for Compassion, UK, and belongs to the editorial team for the International Confederation of Childhood Cancer Parents' Organizations.
- Author(s)Sue Grant
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication21/04/2005
- SubjectBiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Weight281 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Other
Save on Other
- AU $35.80Trending at AU $49.86
- AU $45.31Trending at AU $48.57
- AU $27.13Trending at AU $28.96
- AU $27.48Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $16.78Trending at AU $27.28
- AU $18.88Trending at AU $23.86
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $17.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.