All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $21.97
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.81
About this product
- DescriptionThe sociology of fame and celebrity is at the cutting edge of current scholarship in a number of different areas of study. Stargazing highlights the interactional dynamics of celebrity and fame in contemporary society, including the thoughts and feelings of stars on the red carpet, the thrills and risks of encountering a famous person at a convention or on the streets, and the excitement generated even by the obvious fakery of celebrity impersonators. Using compelling, real-life examples involving popular celebrities, Ferris and Harris examine how the experience and meanings of celebrity are shaped by social rms, interactional negotiations, and interpretive storytelling.
- Author BiographyKerry O. Ferris is associate professor of sociology at Northern Illinois University. She works toward a sociology of fame using ethnographic methods and a symbolic-interactionist approach. Her work has been published in Symbolic Interaction, Journal of Contemporary Ethnography, and Human Studies. Her current project examines small-market newscasters' experiences of local celebrity. Scott R. Harris is associate professor at Saint Louis University. His research centers on social interaction and social constructionism. His books include What Is Constructionism? Navigating Its Use in Sociology (Lynne Rienner 2010) and The Meanings of Marital Equality (SUNY 2006).
- Author(s)Kerry O. Ferris,Scott R. Harris
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication20/01/2011
- SubjectPsychology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleContemporary Sociological Perspectives
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight249 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.