All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first book to examine the activities of UK and international 'role models' through the lens of state crime and social policy. Written by experts in the field of sociology and social policy, it defines the ideal state as a single, functioning whole that ensures uniformity in the name of legitimacy. It then details the ways that states do t constitute the ideal in terms of the dangers associated with the maintenance of legitimacy and state power. Anti-democratic measures, such as the invasions of other nation states, the idea that the media can both reinforce and influence the state and the problems of over-zealous policing of a state's own populace, are covered. Using the topical example of Rupert Murdoch and the activities of his media organisation to show how powerful individuals and corporations can and do exert political influence, the book provides a comprehensive discussion of state immorality and deviance generally and state crime in particular. It will appeal to range of academics and practitioners in broader disciplines such as crimilogy, sociology, politics and political science.
- Author BiographyMark Monaghan is a lecturer in sociology, social policy and crime at the University of Leeds, UK. He completed his first degree in sociology at the University of Liverpool and then went to Leeds to undertake postgraduate study. His doctoral research centred on the problematic nature of evidence-based policy making when applied to heavily politicised areas. Simon Prideaux is an associate professor of social policy, disability and crime at the University of Leeds. He has written widely on social policy and has a growing profile within disability studies. His interests take in comparative access policy, welfare discourses, conditionality and political ideologies.
- Author(s)Mark Monaghan,Simon Prideaux
- PublisherPolicy Press
- Date of Publication03/02/2016
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolicy Press
- Weight386 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.