All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explores the complex linkages between state, society, and culture in medieval and modern India. It discusses issues like secularism, composite culture, pluralism, historiography, and the use of sources. Written over the past decade, this collection of essays explores the complex linkages between state, society, and culture in medieval and modern India. It discusses various ideas under the wider rubric of historiography, history writing, and the use of sources. The author examines secularism, composite culture, and pluralism in both medieval and modern India, linking them to politics, society, and the ecomy. The Mughal policy of subjugation and assimilation, Rathor War, rise of the Marathas, jagirdari crisis, and the Mughal agrarian system have been discussed in detail. The book sheds light on unkwn aspects of many historical figures-like Akbar, Jodha Bai, and Rana Pratap-as well as makers of modern India-like Jawaharlal Nehru and Sir Sita Ram. This book will be of considerable interest to scholars and students of medieval and modern Indian history, and cultural studies.
- Author BiographySatish Chandra is Secretary, Comprehensive History of India Project and Indian Ocean Studies Society, New Delhi. He was Professor of History, Jawaharlal Nehru University, and former Chairman, University Grants Commission.
- Author(s)Satish Chandra
- PublisherOUP India
- Date of Publication02/02/2012
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintOUP India
- Weight396 g
- Width146 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.49
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.88
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.78
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.