All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe statics and mechanics of structures form a core aspect of civil engineering. This book provides an introduction to the subject, starting from classic hand-calculation types of analysis and gradually advancing to a systematic form suitable for computer implementation. It starts with statically determinate structures in the form of trusses, beams and frames. Instability is discussed in the form of the column problem - both the ideal column and the imperfect column used in actual column design. The theory of statically indeterminate structures is then introduced, and the force and deformation methods are explained and illustrated. An important aspect of the book's approach is the systematic development of the theory in a form suitable for computer implementation using finite elements. This development is supported by two small computer programs, MiniTruss and MiniFrame, which permit static analysis of trusses and frames, as well as linearized stability analysis. The book's final section presents related strength of materials subjects in greater detail; these include stress and strain, failure criteria, and rmal and shear stresses in general beam flexure and in beam torsion. The book is well-suited as a textbook for a two-semester introductory course on structures.
- Author BiographySteen Krenk received his M.Sc. and Ph.D. from the Technical University of Denmark and later the degree of Dr.Tech.from the same institution after studies at Lehigh University. He is professor of Structural Mechanics at the Technical University of Denmark. He has held similar positions at Aalborg University in Denmark and Lund University in Sweden, and visiting appointments at Lehigh University, University of Virginia, University of Waterloo and University of Notre Dame. His research areas include mechanics of structures and materials, computational mechanics and stochastic models for structural loads and safety. In recent years the main area of research has been structural dynamics with special emphasis on time integration techniques, and damping and resonant control of structural vibrations. Several of his research results have found direct application in acoustics, seismology, vibration damping of cables and pedestrian bridges, and in analysis techniques for offshore structures and wind turbines. Jan Hogsberg received his M.Sc. in 2002 and Ph.D. in 2005 from the Technical University of Denmark, where he is currently holding a position as associate professor. His main research areas are mechanics and dynamics of structures, with particular emphasis on the design, calibration and implementation of active and semi-active damping and control concepts for flexible structures.
- Author(s)Jan Hogsberg,Steen Krenk
- Date of Publication01/03/2013
- SubjectEngineering & Technology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationDordrecht
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content Note17 black & white illustrations, 663 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight998 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $190.23New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.