All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a guide to the practical application of statistics in data analysis as typically encountered in the physical sciences. It is primarily addressed at students and professionals who need to draw quantitative conclusions from experimental data. Although most of the examples are taken from particle physics, the material is presented in a sufficiently general way as to be useful to people from most branches of the physical sciences. The first part of the book describes the basic tools of data analysis: concepts of probability and random variables, Monte Carlo techniques, statistical tests, and methods of parameter estimation. The last three chapters are somewhat more specialized than those preceding, covering interval estimation, characteristic functions, and the problem of correcting distributions for the effects of measurement errors (unfolding).
- Author BiographyDr Glen D. Cowan, CERN, PPE Division, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland, Tel: +41 22 767 6539, Fax: +41 22 767 9425, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Glen Cowan received his Ph.D. in physics in 1988 from the University of California, Berkeley, after completing his thesis work on particle production in high energy electron-positron collisions. From there he moved to Europe, and has held positions at the Max Planck Institute in Munich and the University of Siegen, Germany. For most of this time, he has been based at the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva. He is a member of the ALEPH experiment at the electron positron collider LEP.
- Author(s)Glen Cowan
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication26/03/1998
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteline figures, tables
- Weight317 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.