Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionThis 2006 textbook discusses the fundamentals and applications of statistical thermodynamics for beginning graduate students in the physical and engineering sciences. Building on the prototypical Maxwell-Boltzmann method and maintaining a step-by-step development of the subject, this book assumes the reader has previous exposure to statistics, quantum mechanics or spectroscopy. The book begins with the essentials of statistical thermodynamics, pauses to recover needed kwledge from quantum mechanics and spectroscopy, and then moves on to applications involving ideal gases, the solid state and radiation. A full introduction to kinetic theory is provided, including its applications to transport phemena and chemical kinetics. A highlight of the textbook is its discussion of modern applications, such as laser-based diagstics. The book concludes with a thorough presentation of the ensemble method, featuring its use for real gases. Numerous examples and prompted homework problems enrich the text.
- Author BiographyNormand M. Laurendeau is the Ralph and Bettye Bailey Professor of Combustion at Purdue University. He teaches at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in the areas of thermodynamics, combustion and engineering ethics. He conducts research in the combustion sciences, with particular emphasis on laser diagnostics, pollutant formation and flame structure. Dr Laurendeau is well known for his pioneering research on the development and application of both nanosecond and picosecond laser-induced fluorescence strategies to quantitative species concentration measurements in laminar and turbulent flames. He has authored or coauthored over 150 publications in the archival scientific and engineering literature. Professor Laurendeau is a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and a member of the Editorial Advisory Board for the peer-reviewed journal Combustion Science and Technology.
- Author(s)Professor Normand M. Laurendeau
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication22/11/2010
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note96 b/w illus. 64 tables 117 exercises
- Weight800 g
- Width215 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.