All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the current status of women. It consists of a collection of papers that focus on the political, ecomic, biologic, cultural, academic and psychological challenges that confront women worldwide. The contributors, from the International Psychoanalytical Association's United Nations Committee and from a variety of disciplines, draw on their experience to consider how women are symbolized in society today. They offer perspectives on why the status of women and girls has t changed in some areas of the world while in others there has been discrete and teworthy progress, sometimes followed by reactionary backlash. The book emphasizes how and why women's status has evolved, stalled or regressed to its present place. In the current era of globalization, new paradigms and the creation of new possibilities are necessary for women to think about their identity, their relationships, and their place in society. The Status of Women offers new perspectives on the broad scope of psychoanalytic theory and practice.
- Author BiographyVivian B. Pender, MD, is a Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry at the Weill Cornell Medical College and a Training Psychoanalyst at Columbia University. At the UN she represents the International Psychoanalytical Association and the American Psychiatric Association. Until 2011, she chaired the NGO Committee on the Status of Women. She is the current Chair of the NGO Committee on Mental Health, and a volunteer Asylum Evaluator for Physicians for Human Rights. She is the author of journal articles and a book chapter on affect, motivation, pregnancy, female psychology and women's health. She produced four documentaries of conferences at the United Nations on mental health, human rights and violence.
- PublisherKarnac Books
- Date of Publication06/10/2016
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Series TitlePsychoanalysis and Women Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintKarnac Books
- Weight476 g
- Width147 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byVivian B. Pender
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.