Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
About this product
- DescriptionSteadfast Sisters of the Silver State was created by the Southern Nevada Womens History Project. Its volunteers combed the state for evidence of the lasting contributions by one hundred teworthy Nevada women to the growth and culture of their communities. To paint a vivid profile of each woman, the organisation's volunteers conducted interviews, unearthed private papers, consulted public records, and collected historical accounts from newspapers and oral histories. In these pages, the refined -- such as Hollywood fashion designer Edith Head -- rub elbows with the infamous, including adult-film star Marilyn Chambers. Each had an indelible connection to the Silver State. Likewise, the obscure -- Rhyolite dance-hall pianist Pauline Atterbury Wilson and Storey Countys one-room schoolhouse teacher, Elizabeth Davis McKay, who both lived in the nineteenth century -- mingle with such modern Nevadans as state controller Kathy Augustine and casi magnates Jeanne Hood and Claudine Williams. Black singers and dancers including D D Cotton and Ruth Brown took the high moral ground in Nevadas slow but satisfying move toward racial equity in casi workplaces. Las Vegas educator Mabel Welch Hoggard and nurse Bertha Sanford Woodard, a Northern Nevadan, waged the same war in their respective spheres. Forty-two women authors are responsible for the rich accounts of these one hundred women. Each made her mark in arenas ranging from civil rights to animal rights, from casi ownership to casi operations, as well as in marketing, modelling, medicine, mining, the media, or the military. Also documented are female leaders in the arts, education, philanthropy, public safety, sports, politics, and government of Nevada. Steadfast Sisters continues the mission of a prior volume, Skirts that Swept the Desert Floor, by the Southern Region of the Nevada Womens History Project, which documented the achievements of ather set of one hundred superlative Nevada women.
- Author(s)Joan Buckhart Whitely
- PublisherStephens Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2013
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLas Vegas, NV
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStephens Press
- Weight975 g
- Width215 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.