All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA thoroughly entertaining history of one of the most daring raids of the American Civil War. On April 12th 1862, during the American Civil War, a group of Union volunteers infiltrated the Confederate stronghold of Georgia and stole a steam engine named 'General'. Once in control of the locomotive, they raced back towards friendly territory - destroying Confederate supply routes as they went and opening up the south to Union forces. If James J. Andrews' plan had worked, it could have dramatically altered the course of the war, but the General's young conductor had other ideas. At first he gave chase to the stolen locomotive on foot, then on a handcar, and finally on board ather train until he forced the Unionists to abandon their plan as they ran out of fuel. Out of the original group of twenty volunteers, six of the survivors were awarded the very first American Medal of Hor by Abraham Lincoln. Stealing the General is the first and most complete account of this momentous episode in American history.
- Author BiographyRussell Bonds is an American Civil War enthusiast whose articles have appeared in numerous publications.
- Author(s)Russell Bonds
- PublisherWestholme Publishing, U.S.
- Date of Publication01/02/2009
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationYardley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWestholme Publishing, U.S.
- Content Note58 b&w photos & maps
- Weight640 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.31New
- AU $24.97New
- AU $20.06New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.93New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.19New
- AU $21.90New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $16.55Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $21.50Trending at AU $23.92
- AU $78.34Trending at AU $90.91
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.56
- AU $21.38Trending at AU $22.76
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $43.73
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.