All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- DescriptionA wealthy madam who was kwn from San Francisco to Victoria in the early part of the 20th century, Stella Carroll was glamorous, worldly and determined to succeed. Her bordellos were fashionably decorated and patronized by the affluent and the powerful; she offered the best of everything--fine food and wine, cigars, entertainment and, of course, girls. The author, with the cooperation of Stella's family in California and New Mexico, has provided an intimate portrait of this infamous, unrepentant woman, her business and her tenuous relationships with double-dealing politicians and corrupt police, whose cooperation was essential to her success in the shadowy world she inhabited.Stella was a woman of contrasts. Her scandalous lifestyle and fiery temper often landed her in court on morals charges, yet she was devoted to and supportive of her family and gave generously to orphans and charities. This compelling n-fiction narrative is a fascinating look at Stella's life and at how things were in Victoria 100 years ago.
- Author BiographyLinda J. Eversole is a freelance researcher, writer and heritage consultant historian who has been researching the intriguing life of Stella Carroll for many years. She lives in Victoria, B.C.
- Author(s)Linda Eversole
- PublisherHeritage House Publishing Co Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2005
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationBritish Columbia
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintHeritage House Publishing Co Ltd
- Content Note50 b/w photos
- Weight514 g
- Width139 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine14 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.