All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStepfamilies and first families have markedly different dynamics and developmental cycles, and clinicians too often approach stepfamily work with insufficient understanding of these differences. Scott Browning's stepfamily therapy model differs from standard practice in its emphasis on stabilising each family subsystem before moving on to more integrative work with the whole stepfamily. This model holds that stepfamilies are especially aided by comprehending the systemic dynamics that influence them, and that this understanding mitigates frustration with differences in personality style and leads to recognising the importance of every family member's role. Specific interventions used by the therapist rmalise the experiences of family members, which helps to shift perceptions and clarify intentions. In this demonstration, Dr. Browning helps a stepfamily to rmalise their experience, increase empathy among stepfamily members, identify mistaken beliefs and misperceptions that cause tension, and uncover techniques to avert issues that create impasses.
- Author BiographyScott Browning, PhD, is a professor in the Department of Professional Psychology at Chestnut Hill College in Philadelphia, USA. He is a noted authority on psychological treatment with stepfamilies. Dr. Browning has been interviewed on Primetime with Diane Sawyer, and also interviewed twice about stepfamilies on National Public Radio. He has been invited on numerous occasions to teach about stepfamilies at the Catholic University of Milan in Italy. As a scholar, teacher, and clinician, Dr. Browning has explored the intricacies of treating stepfamilies, and he has provided advanced clinical and graduate-level training both nationally and abroad in the treatment of stepfamilies. He is the author of numerous chapters and articles on the topics of stepfamilies, empathy, codependency, strategic family therapy and family therapy training practices (particularly a sophisticated approach to role-playing).
- Author(s)Scott Browning
- PublisherAmerican Psychological Association
- Date of Publication30/08/2013
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Series TitleRelationships Video Series
- Place of PublicationWashington DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Psychological Association
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.