All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the first comprehensive analysis of eugenics in North America focused on the second half of the twentieth century. Based on new research, Randall Hansen and Desmond King show why eugenic sterilization policies persisted after the 1940s in the United States and Canada. Through extensive archival research, King and Hansen show how both superintendents at homes for the 'feebleminded' and pro-sterilization advocates repositioned themselves after 1945 to avoid the taint of Nazi eugenics. Drawing on interviews with victims of sterilization and primary documents, this book traces the post-1940s development of eugenic policy and shows that both eugenic arguments and committed eugenicists informed population, welfare, and birth control policy in postwar America. In providing revisionist histories of the choice movement, the anti-population growth movement, and the Great Society programs, this book contributes to public policy and political and intellectual history.
- Author BiographyRandall Hansen is Director of the Centre for European Russian and Eurasian Studies and Canada Research Chair in Political Science at the University of Toronto. Hansen has served as Fellow and Tutor in Politics at Merton College, Oxford, and has held a Research Fellowship at Christ Church, Oxford. He is author of Citizenship and Immigration in Postwar Britain, Fire and Fury: The Allied Bombing of Germany 1942-44 (shortlisted for the Governor General's Literary Award) and Disobeying Hitler: German Resistance after July 20, 1944. Desmond King holds the Andrew W. Mellon Chair at the University of Oxford and is a Fellow of Nuffield College, Oxford. His research on race, welfare, and liberalism includes In the Name of Liberalism: Illiberal Social Policy in the United States and Britain; Making Americans: Immigration, Race, and the Origins of the Diverse Democracy; The Liberty of Strangers: Making the American Nation; and Still a House Divided: Race and Politics in Obama's America (with Rogers M. Smith), selected as a Choice Outstanding Academic Title. He is a Fellow of the British Academy.
- Author(s)Desmond King,Randall Hansen
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication26/08/2013
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight630 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.