All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $178.29Trending at AU $199.99
- AU $26.36Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $70.30
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $13.35
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $52.70
- AU $14.90Trending at AU $23.71
- AU $38.18Trending at AU $44.62
About this product
- DescriptionThis Badger Bio shares the story of author Sterling North his adventures and misadventures as a young boy growing up in Edgerton, Wisconsin. Young readers will learn how North s early experience in Wisconsin influenced him in writing some of his best loved children s books such as Rascal and So Dear To My Heart.The story gives readers a glimpse of early 20th century customs and lifestyles in the rural Midwest. It also includes global issues of the time, including World War I and the Spanish flu pandemic, which greatly affected Sterling s boyhood. As examples, his admired older brother Hershel served overseas in WWI as Sterling was growing up, bringing world events to the North family s doorstep. His mother Gladys died when Sterling was only 7 years old because of the lack of medical advances in the early 1900s. And, as a young man, Sterling was hit by polio, a common epidemic scourge that left many children with paralysis.Readers will learn of Sterling North s successes, t only as a beloved author of children s books, but as a columnist for the Chicago Daily News, an editor of North Star children s history books, and a well-respected critic of other children s literature.
- Author BiographySheila Terman Cohen has written three Badger Biographies. Mai Ya s Long Journey was awarded first place in juvenile nonfiction by the Council of Wisconsin Writers and the Midwest Independent Publishers Association. Gaylord Nelson: Champion for Our Earth received the same honor, given by the Indie Book Awards. Ms. Cohen studied journalism at the University of Wisconsin and has written articles for newspapers in Madison, Wisconsin, where she and her husband live and raised their family.
- Author(s)Sheila Cohen,Sheila Terman Cohen
- PublisherWisconsin Historical Society Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Series TitleBadger Biographies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWisconsin Historical Society Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width173 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.