All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen we think of green building, we tend to picture new construction. But Robert Young argues that the greenest building is often the one that has already been built. In Stewardship of the Built Environment , he shows how rehabilitating and reusing existing structures holds untapped potential for achieving sustainable communities. Students and professionals alike will discover the multifaceted benefits of reuse. Young begins by describing how historic preservation, often overlooked because of the predominant focus on new construction, is actually an important sustainable design strategy. He then examines the social, environmental, and ecomic benefits of preservation - from the societal value of reusing existing buildings to financial incentives available for rehabilitation. Young concludes with insights into the future of reusing buildings as a sustainability strategy. He also provides several informative appendices, including a glossary of key terms and acronyms and recommendations for further reading. Readers will become familiar with essential termilogy; sustainability and historic preservation metrics; and opportunities for smart growth afforded by rehabilitation. This kwledge is key to preserving the past while building a sustainable future.
- Author BiographyRobert A. Young is Professor of Architecture and Director of the Historic Preservation Program at the University of Utah College of Architecture and Planning and is a LEED accredited professional engineer. He lives in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Author(s)Robert A. Young
- PublisherIsland Press
- Date of Publication23/07/2012
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIsland Press
- Content Note90 photos
- Weight454 g
- Width175 mm
- Height249 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.