All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $190.23New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.61
About this product
- DescriptionThis intriguing and comprehensive exploration of the skeleton and the dead body includes over 400 rare photographs. Stanley B Burns, MD, has studied, collected and written on medical photography for over four decades focusing on unexplored areas. His books have placed him in the forefront of medical photographic history scholarship. This work reveals the nineteenth-century fascination with the dead body and body parts. The classic visual icography of post-mortem, dissection, and bone photography is presented and expanded to include early autopsy images and X-ray studies. No prior visual work has presented the once very popular hobby of collecting skulls and also shown their use in racial and psychological profiling research. This sumptuously illustrated book with previously unpublished photographs is an extraordinary work of medical, historical and cultural research. It is a timeless visual essay that will surely become a standard resource for collectors, curators, artists, and scholars.
- Author BiographyStanley B. Burns, MD, a New York City ophthalmologist and clinical professor of medicine and psychiatry, NYU, is an internationally distinguished author, curator, historian, collector, and archivist. In 1977, he founded The Burns Archive with his collection of over 1 million vintage photographs. Elizabeth A. Burns is the creative and operations director of The Burns Archive and Press. She has curated numerous exhibitions and created several books, including Sleeping Beauty II and The Burns Archive Medical Specialty Series.
- Author(s)Elizabeth A. Burns,Stanley B. Burns
- PublisherSchiffer Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication14/01/2015
- Place of PublicationAtglen
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSchiffer Publishing Ltd
- Content Note450 photos
- Weight2865 g
- Width305 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine36 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.