Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.74Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionRobert Pack is one of America's most eminent nature poets, and his virtuoso talents are on glorious display in Still Here, Still Now , his nineteenth volume of verse. With styles ranging from lyric to narrative, and themes stretching from biblical concerns to meditations on contemporary science, Pack's poetry is composed in strongly rhythmic cadences and a diction that is direct and accessible. In four different sections of thematically and stylistically divergent verse, Still Here, Still Now delivers many of the elements of Pack's poetry readers have come to admire and expect - both the humorous and the elegiac.The first section of the book contains traditional lyrics that celebrate family ties and seek consolations for the passing of personal and evolutionary time. The poems in this group address a named or unnamed auditor in a voice of intimate engagement. Featuring the most narrative selections in the book, the second section consists of fable-like stories, rich with innuendo and implication. The characters in these poems make choices that press against the events and circumstances that challenge and define them.Embodying what Harold Bloom has called Pack's courage to surmount suffering, the poems of the third section are largely devoted to biblical themes and philosophical speculations on the meaning of happiness and the uses of suffering. Here, Pack's empathy for the human condition as well as his forebodings about the prospect of human survival are on poignant display. The final section of the book turns to Pack's abiding interest in landscape and the ways in which the place one inhabits contains and animates our individual lives.Ripe with many years, Pack remains a vital presence in American letters. Still Here, Still Now is an affecting and graceful addition to the oeuvre of a poet whose compelling and distinct voice will continue to resonate among his loyal readers.
- Author BiographyRobert Pack taught for thirty-four years at Middlebury College where, for twenty-two years, he also directed the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference. Currently teaching at the Honors College of the University of Montana, he is the author of, most recently, Elk in Winter, Minding the Sun, Rounding It Out, and Fathering the Map, all published by the University of Chicago Press.
- Author(s)Robert Pack
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication18/07/2008
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Weight326 g
- Width148 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.