All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMusic is a language that speaks to us all. But the music of Sir Karl Jenkins transcends boundaries of style and genre, of geography, language and nationality to communicate a message of peace that has profoundly moved millions around the world.;Incorporating diverse influences from religious and historical texts, multicultural musical styles and, famously, a 'vocalised' language of sounds that speaks directly to the heart, Karl has written powerful works such as Adiemus and the iconic The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace that encompass the depth and breadth of human emotion.; From a modest upbringing in Penclawdd, Wales, steeped in the Welsh choral tradition and the Western classical can, Karl followed his love of music to London, immersing himself in the 1960s jazz world of Ronnie Scott's, before joining the seminal prog-rock group Soft Machine. These diverse influences made him one of the most successful composers in the dynamic advertising industry of the 1980s, ultimately leading to his landmark Adiemus project in the 1990s, which inspired him to create the works that have w moved so many.; As Karl says, 'we all work with the same twelve tes'.Still with the Music is the story of how those twelve tes became something magical, a celebration of the power of music to bring joy, to inspire and to heal. Sir Karl Jenkins is that rare thing: a contemporary classical composer with ermous popular appeal, and one of Britain's national treasures.
- Author BiographyKarl Jenkins is a Welsh composer and musician, famed for such contemporary classics as Adiemus, The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace and Palladio. He holds a Doctor of Music degree from the University of Wales, has been made both a Fellow and an Associate of the Royal Academy of Music, where a room has been named in his honour, and has fellowships at Cardiff University, Swansea University, the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama, Trinity College Carmarthen and Swansea Metropolitan University. He was awarded the OBE in 2005, the CBE in 2010, and was knighted in 2015, all for 'services to music'.; Sam Jackson is the Managing Editor of Classic FM, responsible for all of the station's on-air programming, a role he has held since 2011. He sits on the governing body of Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance and on the University of York Music Department's advisory board. In addition, Sam is the author of two Sunday Times bestselling books about classical music.
- Author(s)Karl Jenkins,Sam Jackson
- PublisherElliott & Thompson Limited
- Date of Publication10/09/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintElliott & Thompson Limited
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight612 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.